Saturday, June 7, 2008

Who needs a Lung??? Apparently I do!!

Well let me tell you all of my newest adventure! As many of you know I had a collapsed lung last May and was in ICU for 4 days witha chest tube. Well Sunday I went to have a chest x-ray done because I was having similar symptoms...but also sypmtoms that could be hyper-thyroidism as well. So we decided to rule out the lung. Guess what??? Rule it right back in! Yup..you guessed it...collapsed again. So I ended up in ER and they went over and did another x-ray and scheduled me with a cardiovasular surgeon first thing next morning and I was out of there for the night. I meet with Dr. Thorn and he says that since this has happened already once the chances are it will keep happening again. So he suggests surgery and let's Marc and I have a few min. to talk. So I ask the Dr. what he would do if it were his wife and he says surgery. But I already knew in my heart this needed to be done. This whole past year I have felt something off in my body and alot with my breathing.. At this point I am crying..but not because I am scared of the pain...but because I DO NOT want to throw up after surgery! So I get scheduled for 6 a.m. the next day. I get the okay to hit the gym one more time (bi's,tri's,shoulders and ab's and calves cuz I will be out of commission for a while)paint my toe nails (I figured I am going to be looking at them for awhile so they better look good)and pack a bag. Well surgery the next day comes and my good husband is by my side taking care of me. I am glad to say there was NO vomiting but a few close calls. I have never taken pain med's other that Motrin 800's for any "elective surgery" in the past so I have no experience with them. And they are what made me nausiated...but Zofram was my wonder drug that took the sick feeling away. So they went in with a scope and collapsed my lung completly (it was 30% down)and looked around and found the problem and stapled it and then added a talc type powder to scar up my lung and hopefully fixed the problem. I came out with 2 chest tubes and 3 incisions...15 years ago they would have opened my chest up. Ouch! So I was out of the hospital 2 days later...all the while Marc by my side. He slept in a recliner each night..Grandma took Bryce and Taylor was at her friends...We have had yummy dinners brought in each night and I had friends visit me in the hospital. So the worst part now is I cough.. which is normal but hurts like a MoFo!!!! I am bruised and swollen on my right side but I have been living out my inner fluzy wearing a tank top with no bra(and I will say it..is fun with fake big boobs!) because of being so swollen! So to all of you with your calls and flowers and text messages and visits and meals....Thank you SOOOOOOO much! I will be forever greatful for all your love...and I love you all!!!!

8 comments:

McKenzie said...

Sarah I had NO IDEA all this was happening in your life! I am sorry I wasn't one of the sweet neighbors bring you meals? Do you still need them? You're a champ! It I was blogging about such experiences it would be much more negative! Let us know if you need anything-we would love to take bryce off you hands if you ever need it, he's our favorite kid in the world!
PS I'm glad you found my blog!

Heather Anne said...

Sarah Sarah Sarah.... oh my goodness!!! Wow... I had no idea! Please let me know if you need ANYTHING at all... I'm a stay-at-home mom these days, so my days are a little less crazy now... we would love to have Taylor and Bryce over to play so you can "rest"... Like moms can ever rest :)! Love ya tuns! Heather

Sally Barrington said...

Sarah!!! I can not believe this was happening and I didn't know! I wish I could have been one of the 'Cool Kids' that brought you something. I still can. I can't remember what you told me was your weakness. Chocolate, right? I'll see what I can do about that.

Mel said...

Oh wow. I am glad they could do something to hopefully fix the problem. I would love to help out with your kids anytime you need me to. Cooper would love to play with them...Get feeling better.

Kensie said...

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear about your lungs. I remember you telling me about it at school when talking about the infamous kickboxing but I had no idea it was so bad. I am so sorry and hope you start feeling better soon.
PS Tell Taylor hi from me.
Kensie Bingham

ABSOLUTELY NORMAL CHAOS said...

We hope you are feeling better.

Jeff and Nicole said...

Well we had no idea what was going on either, but that's what we get for living in another state. It sounds like everything went really well though, thank goodness! Glad to hear your doing as well as you can be. Jeff had a surgery as well but nothing even close to what you went through. He just had is pinky toes fixed in an outpatient surgery and went home the same day. I posted pictures of it on our blog. Keep us posted on how your recovery is going.

McLerran Family said...

Sad!!! I'm so sorry! That doesn't sound fun at all. You're such a tough girl! You don't ever seem to complain.